SENIOR RESEARCH ENGINEER – THERMOFLUIDS
- Develop liquid cooling systems for high density high power state of the art ASIC packages.
- Carry out CFD simulations on multiphase internal flows.
- Perform rigorous pressure, velocity, flow rate and temperature measurements in different scales and conduct validation studies on cold plates, heat exchangers, embedded MEMS flow/thermal devices.
- Build and validate thermal test vehicles (TTV).
- Post-process experimental and simulation data, data-reduction, and build engineering correlations,
- Develop reduced order models and simplified engineering tools for design engineers.
- Through simulation and experiments, design and optimize cold plates, compact heat exchangers, embedded MEMS flow/thermal devices.
- Use FloTHERM to perform product design as needed
- Prepare research reports and proposals.
- S. or Ph.D. (preferred) in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent technical field.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong background in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and numerical methods.
- Experience with multiphase flows.
- Firm understanding of turbulence, boiling, separated and dispersed flows, and VOF model.
- Experience with meshing, CFD, FEA or multi-physics simulation software tools (ANSYS preferred, COMSOL, OpenFoam).
- Experience with instrumentation, data collection and post-processing, i.e. LabVIEW and/or various DAQ systems,
- Experience with temperature, pressure, velocity and flow rate measurements.
- Familiarity with TIM requirements and material options for high performance ASICs, processors, FPGAs
- Exposure and knowledge of optical media including thermal limitations, options for heatsinking pluggable media, etc.
- Track record of publications, patents and relevant technical documents.
- Familiarity with microfabrication techniques.
- 5 years (preferred) of research and/or engineering experience following graduate studies.
Position is for 18 months, but could be extended.
Salary and other compensation TBD (will be based on experience and other qualifications)
Send resume to: email@example.com
Thermal Systems Engineer
Electronic Cooling Solutions, Inc. (ECS) was founded in 1998. The company was formed with the vision of providing the best thermal management consulting services to the electronics industry world-wide. ECS provides services for companies in a wide variety of industries and applications. Our customers develop products in avionics, consumer electronics, computing, medical, networking and telecommunications applications.
Since its founding, ECS has established a reputation for excellent service to its customers, providing high-quality and cost-effective solutions. Each member of our team is customer-driven and brings a combination of design, analysis and test skills to the table to address thermal design issues faced by our customers.
Today, ECS is a leading-edge company in thermal management services and is based in the heart of Silicon Valley.
- Design and analysis thermal cooling solutions for hardware systems
- Create analytical and numerical models using various computational fluid dynamics and/or FEA tools to describe system performance
- Design and execute test plans to measure thermal performance/efficiency
- Design thermal test vehicles
- Employer will accept a MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Understanding of Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer fundamentals (conduction/convection/radiation)
- Experience in simulation software such as FloTHERM, FloTHERM XT, Ansys Icepak, Ansys Mechanical and/or FloMASTER.
- Experience scripting and coding (Python, C++)
- Experience in the design and use of thermal test vehicles
- Experience using lab equipment like a Volumetric Flow bench, Data Acquisition system, and Temperature sensors
- Strong communication skills
- A strong root-cause analysis mindset to problem solving
- Experience in developing 1D simulation models
- Practical knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) modeling techniques
- Experience in developing Reduced Order Models (ROMs)
- Some knowledge of liquid cooling, including immersion cooling
Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org