Job Title: Thermal Engineer
- Identify thermal design requirements and propose work necessary to address customer needs.
- Review technical documents to understand the customers’ product design methodology.
- Identify specific thermal design features in customer products where changes could be implemented to improve thermal performance and product reliability.
- Propose a test plan outlining the thermal testing or computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modelling required to provide customers with a viable solution to solve their thermal management needs.
- Complete thermal design and analysis work for customers who design equipment for telecommunication environments and data centers as well as for consumer products.
- Perform component level, system level or rack level thermal analysis based on thermal management needs for different products.
- Perform hand calculations using fundamental mechanical engineering principles of heat transfer and fluid mechanics to design the thermal solution.
- Analyze the thermal design using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modelling tools which solve the governing equations of fluid flow and heat transfer subjected to a set of boundary conditions specific to the problem.
- Review technical datasheets from vendors and select fans, blowers, heatsinks, heat spreaders, thermal interface material (TIM), etc.
- Perform computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis using FloTHERM, FloTHERM XT, and Ansys ICEPAK for thermal systems to guide design.
- Perform computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis to analyze the product’s thermal design at a very early stage of the product cycle using software tools such as FloTHERM, FloTHERM XT and Ansys ICEPAK.
- Apply fundamental knowledge in the field of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to generate computational meshes required for simulations and choose appropriate boundary conditions / mathematical models to obtain an accurate solution.
- Use experimental thermal test data to validate the results obtained from computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modelling of the customer products.
- Analyze the pressure, velocity and temperature plots from the results to identify thermal hot spots on the chassis, overheating electronic components, high pressure regions and recirculation zones in customer products.
- Implement iterative design changes using CFD modelling tools to identify the best thermal management solution.
- Review and conduct mechanical design using PTC Creo and Dassault Systemes SolidWorks.
- Review mechanical design of customer products to understand the layout for components such as heatsinks, fans and air vents.
- Simplify computer aided design (CAD) geometry of customer products using tools such as PTC Creo and Dassault Systemes SolidWorks to facilitate the import of CAD models for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis.
- Perform computer aided design (CAD) design modifications on customer products to optimize thermal performance.
- Design and implementation of test plans for specific customer designs.
- Design the experimental test setup for customer products based on customers’ needs.
- Create a test plan to study the impact of changes in thermal design such as heat sink configurations, fan configurations, heat spreader materials, thermal interface materials, airflow vent opening etc.
- Execute the test plan to evaluate the impact of product design changes and identify the thermal design configuration for best performance.
- Carry out thermal testing using an airflow bench, thermocouples, pressure gauges, flow meters, data acquisition tools and other lab equipment.
- Instrumenting thermocouples to monitor temperatures of heat generating electronic components within customer products.
- Use data acquisition system such as Keysight 34970A Data Logger and the National Instruments LabVIEW to record thermocouple temperatures.
- Evaluate system impedance and fan flow characteristics using Air Flow Test chamber setup.
- Generation of test reports according to customer requirements.
- Preparing a test report by outlining the problem statement, test methodology, summary results and conclusion.
- Analyze results from computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations with the help of plots and graphics.
- Suggest recommendations for product thermal management based on the analysis of thermal test data and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations.
Minimum Educational Requirement:
Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
Electronic Cooling Solutions, Inc.
Please send resume to:
2344B Walsh Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95051